Race-Day Check List for Cyclists - pack like a pro!
Posted on June 05 2017
Preparing your kit for race-day is an important job that needs doing efficiently. There are gains to be made here. There's nothing like feeling ready to race when you arrive at Race HQ and you know you have everything you need, for every eventuality.
To keep control of the enormous amount of kit you need to take, we recommend two bags, one for the period before/after racing and one for preparing for the race itself.
For before and after your race we have designed the 'Weekend Holdall', a wide opening bag with a bright orange interior so that you can pack and find things quickly.
Here's a checklist for your Holdall:
- Racing license and wallet for speedy sign on on arrival
- Compression clothing
- Jeans, Shorts, t-shirt, jumper, sweat pants, socks, spare socks, boxer shorts
- Towel, wash bag (with mini toothpaste, soap)
- Meds - first aid kit, plasters, ibuprofen, wet wipes
- Flip flops
- Extra base layer and any spare racing gear eg wet weather racing kit
- Beanie, merino wool hat, light rain jacket
- Post race treats, perhaps Jelly Babies!
- Charger, wallet, sunglasses
- Loo roll
Our second bag is the Race-Day Bag. A removable base contains 6 bottle holders, designed to hold water bottles for pre-race, race and post-race. Also in the base is an area for your shoes, above which there is a removable shelf on which you can place your race gear, clothing and helmet.
Here's a checklist for your Race-Day Bag:
- Racing license, race pins
- Race shoes, socks, overshoes
- Skin suit or short sleeve jersey and bib shorts
- Base layer x 2 (short and long sleeve)
- Windproof gillet and or rain jacket
- Helmet, gloves, glasses, neck warmer
- Jersey wallet or sandwich bags
- Small tool case
- Chamois cream and embrocation balm
- Antiseptic hand wash
- Nutrition (drinks mix, bars, gels)
- Loo roll